Posted by / Thursday, January 15, 2015 / No comments / , , , , ,

Quest To Bidayuh Village




Kampung Semban, a Bidayuh village. Home of the last  remaining ring ladies. Known as the village above the cloud, it is truly a magical, best kept secret place in Sarawak. Even I didn’t have the knowledge of this kampung, perhaps because my family didn’t mention about it.


It was Wednesday afternoon when Luke called me for a photographic trip to a village known as Kampung Semban, a village loacated at Padawan district. 30 minutes of average speed to reach the entrance of the trail from 10th Mile by car. I took the challenged and follow the trip to Kampung Semban. He said that those going were his dad, Mackenzie and him. 

Thursday

0800: They picked me up that morning and we did some cross check on our trekking list and last minutes shopping. I bought some medicine at nearby pharmacy while Luke’s dad bought some meat  in case the food provided is less than expected. Our trip was in a package, 2 days and 1 night for about RM150 in total, inclusive food and accommodation. It was a good deal for us.



0900: We reached at the main entrance where we were dropped off by Macquin, Luke’s brother. Mackenzie, who supposed to go decided not to take part of the adventure due to personal reasons. Thus only three of us went; Luke’s dad Mr Edward, Luke and me. We had our meet and greet session with the guides, Mr Mering and his sons and relatives, Peter and Zender and others where I can’t recall their name. (I’m bad in memorizing name. I apologized for that.)  

0930: We, about 6 of us including the guides started our journey from the entrance. We took some pictures along the way. I brought my heavy tripod along; weighted almost two kilo. Altogether, my bag weighted almost 7 kilos. It was a long journey ahead plus the weight, I suffered. Haha. In addition to that, it was an unexpected call from Luke yesterday regarding the trip to Kampung Semban. I’d never been there before. We cannot give any expectation to any jungle trekking that we went. 




I’ve been to Mt. Kinabalu twice; it was not as tough Semban. I admit that my level of fitness was low. FYI, I only took a small amount of breakfast that morning, leftover from my sister’s breakfast. Noodles; a kind of food you will satisfied for about 30 minutes and you will get hungry again.


12:00: For the condition of real hunger, it really kills me. I do some heavy breakfast actually. It feels like I can eat anything, if possible a dinosaur. Hahhaa. I can say I’m not a human. Feeling dizzy and given some “cha koi” from Mr. Edward. Thank you. I didn’t expect that the guide didn’t give any food. What all of us thought that the package was included food including lunch? Hmm I think too much of assumption is not good as well.  

1400: We were almost reached the village. There is a cliff, the last uphill to get to the village. I stopped in all of sudden halfway. My legs jammed, and cramped. Luckily Mr Mering was just behind me. I cried, really because it is so painful hahahahhahaha.

1430: Finally we reached Kampung Semban, the village of heaven, a village above the cloud that people always mention about. We rest for an hour and went to the waterfall. 



1530: We went to the waterfall and took some pictures



 1730: Going back to the homestay, have dinner and get some rest.


Look at that hungry face trying to absorb as much as he could for the dinner. Hahahaha


Friday
0600: Wake up and went to the pepper farm that was mention by the guide, not to pick the peppers but a perfect place to capture photographs and moments of sunrise.



We went back to the homestay, get some rest and ready to go back home. 


1030: Packed and get ready to go home.

1430: Reach the starting point again. Go home and rest. I feel I am fortunate, although exhausted to go for the trip because it is not everyday thing that you can go there although the  place is not far away from your house.


Soon enough, the river will be filled and Bengoh dam will start its operation, as a water catchment for the people of Kuching. Maybe it will be the last sight to set our foot the trails to the village above the cloud. It will always be our memories and in our heart. 



Some photos are courtesy of Luke Kenny.

Share This Post :
Tags : , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

recent

Popular Posts

Fanpage

Social Media

Get update news from my social media.